Being a student can be a particularly stressful time; it isn’t always the easiest time to keep on top of everything. It can also be affected by what is happening outside of university, whether that is at work or in a relationship. Sometimes it helps to take a step back or a break if you feel things are becoming too overwhelming. If you are struggling, some things you can try are:
- Find the cause of the problem
- Get healthy; try eating well, getting a good, regular night’s sleep and cutting down on alcohol. Spending time socialising as well as studying and working is important.
- Try not to think too much about the future or compare yourself to your peers; think about yourself in the present and take each moment as it comes
- Don’t overdo yourself; set realistic goals so that you aren’t putting unnecessary stress on yourself
- Learn to relax; this might include meditation or breathing exercises
- Talk to a friend, tutor or someone in your family to try and resolve personal issues
- Try managing your time better by using a calendar or a planner
- Set priorities so that you can at least get the most important things done first, giving you time to do the optional things
You can also talk to a counsellor if you are feeling particularly stressed and are struggling to manage it yourself.